Thread: "How We Train Our Cops to Fear Islam"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It seems that the thrust of the article was less about making apologies about Islam and character assassination, and more about the industry that has cropped up in the wake of the Long War, and frankly how easy it is to work a gig on very thin shreds of a reputation. Too often, the facts simply cannot be checked. A key point is made here:

But regardless of what role cops on the streets should or should not play in fighting terrorism, the fact is that rivers of federal training dollars are already flowing, many of them straight into the pockets of instructors like Sam Kharoba. The training system clearly needs reform. Again, federal control is not the solution, but a first step would be for the federal government to issue voluntary guidelines on how states can best reform their oversight of counterterrorism training—since the most robust reforms will need to happen at the state level.
    Does it make for juicy media? Certainly, but so does the lathering that goes on, on the other side of the street when someone peddles their wares. As a taxpayer, I tend to like opposing points of view that allow me to do some thinking on my own. I see a vociferous rebuttal to the article, but it just seems off the mark a bit.

In fact, the argument that hundreds of law enforcement professionals trained somehow proves the validity of a method of instruction is exactly what the authors of the article seemed to be addressing.

Poole and Grossman make a living getting people pretty whooped up about things in their lectures too, and love to direct you to the back of the room where they will be selling autographed copies of their book. It's how they make their living, no doubt, but when you put your stuff out there on front street, be prepared to be looked at with a suspicious eye.

Ted, I remember that SOCNET thread. Real deal guys tend to sniff out curious smells. I especially enjoyed this snippet, and remember it like it was yesterday:

Allow me to rephrase my opinion: I. Do. Not. Listen. To. CT. Experts. Who. Did. Not. Serve. In. CT. Units. Training with them doesn't count.
    These threads never seem to end well...
    Last edited by jcustis; 03-08-2011 at 05:35 AM.