Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
As to Libya specifically, I lean toward making a deal with Qaddafi to allow him to stay in power for some set term to shape a way forward with heavy Arab/UN involvement in exchange for a truce with his people. If he refuses, up the ante a bit. Figure out what his pressure points are and apply pressure. To simply call for him to step down is probably the wrong thing. To just fly in and start blasting is also probably the wrong thing. (At least at first)
Having Qaddafi remain in power as part of a political strategy is a non-option.

1) The man is deeply unpopular in Libya, and indeed across the Middle East. The international community would be seen as complicit in protecting him.

2) The man is crazy. This is not a term I use lightly, but it fully applies in this case. I think the chances he will ever voluntarily leave power or step down are close to zero.

3) Despite the changes in the Egypt and Tunisia, the Arab world is still a club of dictators, and has little credibility (or interest) in a democratic transition in Libya, even if they would like Qaddafi to go.

4) As we know from Cambodia, a heavy UN presence is no guarantee that a dictator will actually leave in the end. Some 17 years after losing the 1993 elections (guaranteed by 21,500 UNTAC peacekeepers, at a cost of $1.5 billion), he is still effectively in power.