Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
You (emphasis mine)should read more carefully. I asked a question about what he(Marc) thinks a politicians job is? Where I live Politicians change funding and laws all the time because they are temporally elected officials they may not have an accurate understanding of the true nature and magnitude of the problem until it is explained to them in detail, at which time they may and often do make changes to funding and manpower and laws.
Again, read more carefully. I'll narrow down the emphasis from his quote:

"to fit the strategy"

Of course pols are supposed to set budgets (that's trivial), but not so "to fit the strategy".

----------

Politicians change every 4-6 years. That's a "duration of world war" interval. Any officer who thinks that he cannot adapt to their changes of effective restrictions in time should resign.

I expect a military to adapt in few weeks to at most a year. Everything in excess of a year is a too long reaction lag and testament of incompetence and/or organisational failure.

Obviously, this is a common illness of modern militaries. No military rises above "not good enough yet". They're all misguided, wasteful, ill-conceived and largely incompetent bureaucracies instead of the smart and agile warfare organisations the taxpayers deserve.