View Poll Results: Do you agree that the insurgency has ended, although the war continues?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is no longer an insurgency.

7 23.33%
  • No, it is still an insurgency.

23 76.67%

Thread: Good news -- the insurgency is over! Now we need a new strategy for the Iraq War.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Reply to RTK about sources and other concerns

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    Do you write your positions off of mainstream media accounts or have you been in Iraq since 2003 at all?
    I rely on primary sources almost exclusively, mostly media, NGO's, and government. When quoting officials and describing events, would you accept my personal observations, or prefer something with more credibility?

Additionally, your writings have always smacked of one who has bought into the mainstream media perspective.
    The common objection to my 2003 & 2004 articles was that they contradicted reports in the mainstream media.

You highlight problems and seldom solutions.
    A valid criticism and one I am addressing with this series of articles. It's easy to criticize; proposing solutions is more difficult. Of course, proposing solutions is inherently more speculative -- as I move from describing events to guessing what might work in the future.

Lastly, you have long used your postings on this web site to attempt to gain readers to DNI.
    Again a valid criticism. This was raised for the first time in my previous SWC thread; since then I obtain in advance permission to post.

You've scantly addressed direct criticism, or even direct questioning.
    This was raised in the last go-around, perhaps with some validity. Here I have attempted to specifically and clearly address questions. Including yours. Have I missed any?

I'd prefer you'd just write on DNI (we know you're their) and quit asking permission to post here.
    It's not my place to decide what is appropriate for the SWC. That's for the folks running it to decide.

... your inability to understand their practical application in counterinsurgency operations
    Please rebut or question! That's why I am here. Or ignore me, which is also OK. So far on this thread -- all this text! -- the only question was about the uniforms worn by Kurds. To which I replied. That was a fair test on a small but perhaps telling point of fact.

...which, in all actuality, you're using the term in way too general an application
    Perhaps. The meaning of the term has shifted over the years. I checked current usage when writing my reply, and I think I used it in the commonplace sense. This is a minor point, however, as I think my meaning was clear -- which is the important thing.
    Last edited by Fabius Maximus; 03-17-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: format only