Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
Interesting turn of phrase. I understand the desire to be liked, an embedded feature of the twitisphere (which the US media generally represents and therefor voices the attitude of which you write). However, haven't seen all that many tears and all funerals are odd (IMO).

I think I understand the gist of that garbled syntax, though -- and there's some merit in the statement. Not totally correct but accurate enough to stand provided one realizes that those with that desire to liked are a minority in this country. IOW, I know some feel that way, however, most do not in my observation. As Canadian newspaper Columnist Christy Blatchford once wrote "Some Americans care but most don't give a rat's ass what the rest of the world thinks..." Succinct and uncouth but distressingly accurate, confirming all your prejudices.

That is unlikely to change significantly until the demise of the American republic, and event that will certainly occur, however, probably not in the lifetime of ourselves or even our grandchildren...
Sadly it is more than a desire to be liked it is the desire to be the center of attention and in charge as well.

This is why the NATO partners were kept in their place. Now it is clearly ridiculous to be publicly critical of their inability to step out of the shadow of the US and flex their own muscles.

I am surprised that the NATO partners have been so subordinate and obsequious for so long having been treated with off-handed disdain. Expect to be on the receiving end of a few returned favours as they revel in their new found freedom.