Thread: More Piracy Near Somalia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by motorfirebox View Post
    Another invasion is the exact opposite of what I'd propose. The basic problem is that we've destroyed the concept of legitimate government in Somalia. A large part of that is due to unavoidable corruption, but another factor that weighs heavily is that when Somalia did try to put together a real government of their own, we punished them for it with foreign invasion. How do we begin to build or rebuild the concept of legitimate government? I don't have a roadmap, but I suspect it starts with treating the area as a legitimate concern. If Somalia has international issues like unlicensed foreign fishing and illegal waste dumping, we deal with those issues.
    Well, I can sense that you were in favor of the islamic tribunals and then that al shabab are now the legitimate government or am I wrong?

Secondly, you are just asking to agree with the pirates' demande and comply with it not providing any tracks for ending piracy, which is the issue.

Thirdly, legitimate government? what does that mean for you. If it goes through democratic process then it is to be discuss but not in Dar es Salam or Nairobi. If it's a governement imposed by force then it's as illegitimate as any invasion and power put in place by force.
    This probably means people in power that none of all somali clan will accept. But will have to respect and obey, who ever they are and who ever business they disrupt. The all idea of necessity of consensus is just a cover to keep the situation as it is and not go forward most of the time.

Finally, the first step of any road map will go by ending piracy, I believe.
    Last edited by M-A Lagrange; 04-20-2011 at 02:10 PM.