JMA,

I don't think the U.S. or any other nation for that matter is unaware of the big changes regarding China's assertiveness. Russia is also more assertive. The question is how to manage and respond to it. The U.S.'s ability to influence based on superpower status is waning, but it is still very powerful. I am not sure what you are proposing the U.S. do at this point that it isn't already doing? I hope you are not proposing we go to war with China over some important, but still relatively minor incidents the SCS? I can't see how that will benefit us, or the global economy.

LawVol posted,

Have we focused too much on the "war of terror" and thus dropped the ball in the Pacific? Is this issue evidence of our need to pursue a different strategy with respect to terrorism, so we can remember the big picture?
Our narrow laser like focus on the WOT has been at a detriment to our larger interests, but it isn't that black and white. The WOT remains important, and the WOT is also being waged (intelligently) in the Asia-Pacific region. State powers have always leveraged surrogates, insurgencies and other violent and non-violent movements to further their own goals, so as during the Cold War we need to look under the blanket a little closer to see who all the players are. In my opinion we are intentionally deceiving ourselves now because the truth is too unpleasant to accept.