[QUOTE=Dayuhan;122567]

Why do you assume an "enemy", rather than another nation whose interests at times diverge from yours, though at times those interests are very similar.
I don't assume anyone as the 'enemy'. I merely used your words.

What commitments are we talking about here? The US has never committed itself to defend the Philippine claim to the Spratly islands. I also wouldn't worry at all about these countries finding other friends. The more they look to the rest of Asia for support and alliance, the better.
If the US did not, do let us know what they committed themselves to with the Pact?

If you will forgive me, I will be very surprised if a Pact is area specific i.e. I will defend you only in Area A but not in Area B.

We assume way too much. Too often we assume, say, that a Chinese aircraft carrier is aimed at the US, or conquering Taiwan. I think it's far more likely to be deployed someday in support of some Chinese-supported government in Africa that's threatened by insurgents with nationalization in mind... don't you see that coming in the Chinese future? I suspect, in short, that the Chinese would employ such gear in much the same way the Americans have, though the Americans of course have far more of it. Isn't there something a bit odd about Americans stressing over the prospect of 1 Chinese carrier, given the size of the US force?
An aircraft carrier or a Fleet is positioned to take care of strategic interests in a certain geographical beat.

One has to assume because forewarned is forearmed.

The Chinese aircraft carrier is just the beginning.

Do let us know what is the Chinese intention with the single aircraft carrier since apparently you seem to know.

The exercises are held on a regular basis and were scheduled long before any of this broke out. If none of this had started, of course, nobody would notice the exercises.
The schedule is too close to reality to be believed!

Any links to show that it was schedule long time back?