Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
Well, sniping was important in 39/40, but that were basically good shots with iron sighted bolt action hunting rifles. They shot at distances well below what snipers understand to be their realm nowadays.
Due to terrain, ranges where finnish snipers engage their targets, depending on wether they are armed with dragunov, 7.62 Tkiv 85 or TRG-42, at ranges between 300-800 meters. I understand that this is shorter than what western snipers usually engage?

Btw, I understand that Finnish infantry is quite obsessed with mines, both AT and claymore types?
On top of head I can think of four types of mine usage.
1.On defence, or when more offensive part of army sets up camp for resting period, each squad of force makes up so called quick mine field. it is made of 10-12 blast AT-mines and it purpose is to stop enemy AFVs so squad/platoon AT-weapons have easiers time hitting them, also to generaly stall their movement and force them to make their "game moves" If there is enough time blast AT-mines are removed and engineer assemble more elaborate minefield
2.Claymores and other AP-mines will be used to protect any permanentish installation.
3. And last I have heard of plans mining roads at certaing intervals and leaving snipers to watch them.

I continue my answers in following post(s).