Thread: Small Wars pre-1914: Canadian input

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Thanks to an ex-BSAP correspondent and historian for drawing attention to the 1907 book 'Bush Warfare' by General William Heneker, a Canadian who served with the British Army, more accurately the West African Frontier Force (WAFF)

The book re-appeared in 2007 courtesy of the Canadian Army and is 5.47Mb, note scroll down to second item:http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/DLCD-DCSFT/monograph_e.asp

Of late SWC has concentrated on rather dusty places, cities and not areas where 'bush' is the dominant terrain type. The book is not just about West Africa, there are sections across Africa, e.g. Somaliland and further afield. ( On a partial reading - from my "armchair" - I can see the principles of 'Small Wars' are there and so over to others to enjoy or not.
    Well done to you David and your BSAP mate for that one.

(Did you know that back in the good old bad days the BSAP recruited by advertising that they were looking for "Son's of gentlemen who can ride and shoot." )

Heneker' piece is certainly not politically correct by today's standards and will probably mean that the faint hearted will give this thread a wide berth.

Not much has changed since then in terms of the principal ideas and comments he makes. Just that I suppose this has long dropped off the required reading list of officers in the Brit (and maybe also the Canadian Army) as is the case with Skeen's Passing It On.

Not sure whether you have read Harnden's Dead Men Risen and I quote from it:

Maj Birchall quoted as follows: ‘Every time we came under enemy fire, they would blast off hundreds of rounds in every direction, often aimed at anyone outside the compound who was still around.’
    and lo and behold what do we find in Heneker's book?

Lord Wolseley, writing about the 1874 Ashanti Campaign, says, “I found that undisciplined native troops were a positive source of danger in the bush, from the reckless manner in which they fired in all directions.” In commenting on Lord Gifford’s scouts in this same campaign, he describes how they frequently deserted him in tight places, how dangerous their shooting was to their friends, and how their commander must have borne a charmed life to survive the many perilous positions his levies placed him in.
    Nothing has changed... and Chapter Ten: Levies is a must read.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-08-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: 18,751v today