Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
Yeah, but Java ain’t Mali and Mali ain’t Saudi Arabia.
True in a geographical sense. But in a richer sense Muslims have things in common which transcend time and place; they pray 3-5 times a day, toward Mecca, go on Hajj, read the Quran, valorise Muhammad as "the walking Quran" i.e., as the perfect example of Muslims man to be emulated - an Islamic Archetype in Jungian terms (A'isha), etc. These and other discursive practies demarcate them from whatever locale they may be in whether its Coventry (UK), Kandhar or Ohio or Buenos Aires. This universal Umma, only a potentiality beofre- limited by time, space and the "netwroks of government (to borrow frm Duetsch) was sundered when the capliphate and its successor systems were sundered. Modernity, especially communications that transcend the political limitations of geographical dispertion have reconnected the elements opf the system reinforcing and revivifying the system (which was always latent). But thats IMO and I'm still struggling with putting that down in a manner acceptable to journal editors of whatever ilk (i.e., in some kind of ordinary language)