Ganulv:

Yes, Lenin did part way with Marx -- so have most of Karl's hangers-on. As I said, they have much to answer for...

You make that tension disappear by having the Federal government do the things it is supposed to do and cease doing all the many things that are none of its business. That proliferation of assumed tasks has created an overlarge governmental crowd that doesn't do much of anything well because it is trying to do too much. I say that based on 45 years in uniform and as a civilian working for that government. It generally means well; it always is over-involved. To rid us of that problem we can vote out all incumbents in Congress. Both Parties. Repeatedly. Until they get the message and reform the process -- without that, it will not reform; not seen as in the interest of its politicians and employees -- perspective again.

I'll grant two -- California is woefully suspect other than San Diego to LA. To San Francisco you'll never beat the air time. Rather than trying to force people to do something they likely will not be interested in doing, why not cater to their wishes and simply improve the quo???

True on decisions and those are best made locally. that would be definitely less efficient but we can afford it, we're wealthy but just do not spend well. Local effort is certainly far more effective -- and that, not efficency, is or should be the goal of governance. This nation is simply too large and diverse to adopt one-size-fits-all solutions to satisfy all the Nannies involved. Distressing but there you have it.

No problem with acknowledging full humanity -- that would be guaranteeing equality of opportunity -- but I do have problems with three weeks vacation and a pension at 58 for everyone. Some jobs merit it, all do not and my quarrel is with those who would say all must be treated equally because they are all people. People and jobs are not all equal, never have been or will be until we perfect cloning. Michael Jordan is certainly a far better Basketball player than I. The Cop who puts his life on the line daily deserves different treatment than the soldier who only does that occasionally but who deserves different treatment than the medical professional who works long hard hours but with little danger -- or the Butchers and Bakers who cope with none of the above...

Not only a historical perspective but, too often, just common sense...

motorfirebox:

The goal is not or should not be to create prosperity for the nation as a whole. That it is now a nominal goal is really a part of the problem. "Prosperity for the country" implies (not states, just implies...) a certain equality of outcome. That the implication is having adverse effects on us is shown by your second paragraph with which I agree -- the system has been corrupted and our Political Class has not only allowed that, they have (foolishly IMO) encouraged it.

I'm reminded of this little tale I recently noted:
A doctor, a priest, a lawyer and an engineer are waiting to tee up, but they have to wait an inordinate amount of time. The club pro explains that the foursome ahead of them are firefighters who lost their sight saving children. in a local school fire, and that the club lets then play any day they want. The golfers answer the pro:
Pastor: Forgive my impatience, I’ll pray for them.
Lawyer: Well, the club should give us a discount.
Doctor: Maybe they can be cured; I’ll talk to my ophthalmologist friend.
Engineer: Why can’t these guys play at night?

Quoted from p. 126, "Winning Insurgent War, Back to Basics" by Geoff Demarest , Foreign Military Studies Office, Ft. Leavenworth.
Problem is, of course, that we all see things from our own perspective and self protection is instinctive. In that tale, the four golfers would have worked it out on their own and the 'help' of the Pro would have been unnecessary. My point is that effective leadership and / or politics should account for that perspective issue and arrive at a fair consensus of courses of action. History shows us that such leadership or political acumen is actually and unfortunately rather rare. The counterpoint is that most societies if not unduly manipulated by their government will slowly arrive at a correct balance. In prior centuries a lack of education made the process haphazard and agonizingly slow. Given today's educational capability (as opposed to demonstrated production... ) there's a case to be made for less, not more governmental intrusion as the tendency to get to a satisfactory conclusion is more likely than ever...

The linkage of all this to the Thread is that this era is no more dangerous than any prior era. A strong argument that it is less dangerous due to world wide societal advances could in fact be made.

The linkage to Small Wars is that we do not do them at all well. A large contributor to that shortcoming is that steep declines in US some military capabilities, not offset by known and obvious improvements in other areas of armed forces conduct and equipage, are societally or governmentally induced. The drive toward the equality of mediocrity, excessive concerns with stability and security -- 'force protection' -- and a fragmented government funded by a Congress that has its nose in too many things have had severe detrimental impacts on our education, our training and our performance in too many -- not all by any means, but far too many -- aspects