Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
motorfirebox:

The goal is not or should not be to create prosperity for the nation as a whole. That it is now a nominal goal is really a part of the problem. "Prosperity for the country" implies (not states, just implies...) a certain equality of outcome. That the implication is having adverse effects on us is shown by your second paragraph with which I agree -- the system has been corrupted and our Political Class has not only allowed that, they have (foolishly IMO) encouraged it.
By "nation as a whole" I don't necessarily mean every individual person in the nation. I mean the average--the whole. Enforcing absolute equality of outcome is bad, but it's just as bad as a system that results in absolute inequality of outcome. There has to be a certain general parity--the bottom end can't drag too far behind the top end, if only to satisfy the demands generational wealth places on equality of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
The counterpoint is that most societies if not unduly manipulated by their government will slowly arrive at a correct balance. In prior centuries a lack of education made the process haphazard and agonizingly slow. Given today's educational capability (as opposed to demonstrated production... ) there's a case to be made for less, not more governmental intrusion as the tendency to get to a satisfactory conclusion is more likely than ever...
Economically, the idea that too much government is the major source of harm just doesn't fly--our current woes came after decades of stripping government oversight.