I don't know why the US Army hasn't embraced the idea of a true alpine unit. Perhaps it wouldn't need to be a division but at least a brigade. Basing such a unit at Ft. Carson is usually mentioned but Ft. Huachuca would be another possibility. The desert mountains of the southwest might serve as a good substitute for parts of Afghanistan.

My unit conducted annual winter training in the Italian Alps, but that's just what it was: winter training in an alpine environment, not training as true alpinists. We spent a lot of time on snow shoes pulling the ahkio around, setting up the arctic tent, and firing up the Yukon stove but we did no technical climbing or rope work. I suppose it was good toughness training but it sure wasn't technical training.

On a historical note, I'm aware of three technical climbs by US units in WWII: Riva Ridge by elements of 10th Mtn Div, Pointe du Hoc by 2d Ranger Bn, and Monte la Difensa by First Special Service Force. And although I said US units, I haven't forgot that FSSF was half Canadian.

Not sure about the Dieppe raid. I know 4 Commando with some 1st Ranger Bn attached made a climb there to attack a battery but I'm not sure if it was a technical climb or a scramble of sorts.