Thread: The War on Terrorism is the Correct Label

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A lot is illogical, though, on the surface at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    One can disagree with any or all that but none of it is illogical. Though any or all can be 'wrong' in the view of some.
    To identify logic to strategic actions of many players in recent times (America being but one) I imagine that you are making assumptions and deductions. For example, you were told that intervention into Iraq was necessary because of WMDs, whereas my small populous get the line that commitment to Afghanistan is necessary for democracy/int'l security/stability to prevail. It seems that we all assume realism occurs behind the scenes, yet idealism is all that is preached to the masses (of course it's a little more blurred than that, but for the sake of argument I'd suggest that this generalisation is more or less correct).

I don't think that the US is alone, either - Stratfor has done some recent articles on the German actions in the Eurozone crises, and alleges that Berlin is trying to increase her control over the Euro block but cannot/ will not speak in those terms.

Heading back to the opening posts, the term 'war on terror' can only be described as an opiate for the masses, rendering the complexities of geopolitics as part of the mythic good-v-evil struggle that is as easily retweeted as the central plot of any of the Star Wars movies.

Essentially, I wonder if the topic here is less the accuracy of words and more about how we are governed and led, and about how the governing elite in a democracy establishes support for and sells their plans to their constituency.
    Last edited by Chris jM; 09-08-2011 at 05:11 AM. Reason: fix quote...
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan