Thread: Homosexuality and Military Service (Merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As a kid pre-DADT my mother came home from Guard one Sunday and said her unit commander (whom I remember from the couple of times I was in his presence as so understated it was calming) had called them all in and read them the Riot Act over a Xeroxed flyer with a gay joke on it which had been posted on the cork board. As soon as they were dismissed the fellow next to my mother turned to her and whispered, “Someone in this room is apparently unaware that his brother died of AIDS.” I know that a Marine weapons company and a National Guard medical company are at best apples and oranges, but given my own introduction to issues of homosexuality in the U.S. Military I have been for going on two decades now consistently puzzled by the notion that things are going to go t#ts up if homosexual servicemen and -women are allowed to acknowledge their sexual orientation.
    Last edited by ganulv; 09-21-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo fix
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)