Thread: The Rules - Engaging HVTs & OBL

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Some interim snacks before the meat

We had our 50th (Class of 1961) Hancock High School Reunion this weekend. Chowed down with (ret) 2 Navy O's and 1 SNCO (Mel came up from NC to see us - as he correctly said "the last time I saw you was at the Naval Reserve Center in 1961" - the NRC allowed us the Center for our graduation party; and thereby kept kiddy drunks off the roads). So, a good time with them and 50+ others.

Interestingly enough, the four of us had no discussion re: current military situations.

Now, in looking at the Awlaki mission, we do in fact have a lot of legal opinions, which range from close to the "normative" to vary adverse to the "normative". I'm going to take this on gradually - over the next week or so.

Here's a bold-face - "Killing Awlaki was illegal, immoral and dangerous" - CNN Link - by one of my personal favs, Mary Ellen O'Connell, who is generally in my "opposition":

Yes, she is an "Irish Colleen"; but:

She earned her B.A. in History, with highest honors, from Northwestern University in 1980. She was awarded a Marshall Scholarship for study in Britain. She received an MSc. in International Relations from the London School of Economics in 1981, and an LL.B., with first class honors, from Cambridge University in 1982. She earned her J.D. from Columbia University in 1985, where she was a Stone Scholar and book review editor for the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law. After graduation, she practiced with Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C. [JMM: a very good DC law firm; but not S & C.]
    which allows this Mick:

to slug it out virtually - as barristers do.

That being said, check out her articles at the site above; and do a Google for her many pdfs. Or, search SWC for her name vice jmm99 (I often cite to her as one of the "opposition").

Another personal fav - for Gitmo cases and "War Crimes" - is Andy Worthington:

He, like ME O'C, is pretty straight-up in his beliefs - even though generally opposite to my own. Neither of them have horns; nor, do I !

See also, from Antiwar.com as the source, to provide a "fair and balanced side of the coin" (WTF does that really mean ?):

Now, you all have the side of the coin which (mostly) differs from my side.

Later....

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 10-02-2011 at 05:03 AM.