Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
I doubt that the possible loss of an investment in one country will provoke China to do something irrational, since they are adapt at calculating risk versus gain.
I would not ascribe to the Chinese some superhuman capacity to see into the future and dispassionately calculate potential for risk and gain. Vulcans they are not. I don't think they're about to suddenly march vast armies off to conquer resources, but that's not how these things start. They start with fear that if this government falls and the successor nationalizes assets, some others might do the same. The rebels have to be suppressed, pour decourager les autres. Surely this government can accomplish that, with a bit of military aid... and then some advisers, and then a few more advisers, and then just a little bit of air support, and then of course you need some troops to secure the air bases and support people, and then since you have the troops there it makes to have them take care of a few things that the locals don't seem able to do...