Libya: Gadhafi son offers to surrender to Hague
On the run in the desert, fearing for his life after his father was captured and slain and despairing of any safe haven across an African border, the 39-year-old once expected to inherit dynastic power from Moammar Gadhafi now saw a Dutch prison cell as his best option, the official said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45053170...east_n_africa/

Mike,

As far as I know, ICRC conducts and has been conducting training on IHL in Colombia with FARC, in Sri Lanka with TTG, in Nepal… Many irregular forces received trainings in IHL. Does that mean they integrated it in their trainings/behavior, tactics or even took it in consideration even for 1 min: I do not know.
Let say: if there are prisoners of war on both sides, then there is some of IHL being applied. (Never said that POW are well treated.)

I agree with you on the statement that what is needed are trainings and not just legal lectures. But that’s no reason to throw away the baby with the bath water. (Ok big French language barbarism but I figure it is clear).

First: As long as facing trial for war crimes will remain linked or even depending on politic, then there will always be a temptation to explain that IHL are useless. Having known war criminal running freely their business in the open does not help to support the IHL agenda.

Secondly: 1977 additional protocols were designed after the liberation wars fought by Britain and France. They were and remain a step in the right direction, IMHO. Before, irregular groups did not have rights but there were no obligations for irregular groups neither.

What blurs the question is the shift induced from conduct of war as a practice/custom with regulations to a civilization/cultural confrontation where all from the other side is rejected. And, the temptation of radicalization, through brutality, to reach the end.