Thread: The new Libya: various aspects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't understand the angst over this. This is normal when a violent civil war ends and during its' course. The times that it doesn't happen are the exceptional cases that should cause wonderment. This was almost certainly going to happen and the presence of western troops would not have stopped it. You just would have had some supremely frustrated and disgusted western troops.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    The bad news is that the US electoral system is about to return a proven idiot for a second term or produce a new 'smart' guy with all the same narcissist arrogance who will screw some other country up. Amazingly most Americans can't see this.
    And we probably will return arrogant narcissists (I really like that phrase) to office again and again. They do very well on TV for some reason and that is the main thing. An unrelated observation: TV has only been around in an important way for 60 years or so. I don't think its' effect on politics has been fully felt or appreciated yet. Maybe the structure created in the 18th century by the founders can't tolerate it.

Mike:

I offended you, and am sorry that I did. It was not intentional.

I used the "If I..." form because that is a convention but not a good one.

Apologies are important to me. If I unknowingly offend, I will make one. That is good manners. The other way around doesn't matter to me, but if I am discourteous, amends must be made.
    Last edited by carl; 10-27-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene