Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
Solution to what, Afghanistan, or Pak Army/ISI support of the Taliban?
The latter. The solution to Afghanistan was not to stay. We blew that. Next best thing is to depart reasonably decently. That's in the works. However, you continue to write that the Pakistani Army and / or ISI are responsible for the Taliban and something needs to be done about that -- IMO that brings up really two questions:

What should be done about that relationship today in view of US presence and supposed goals in Afghanistan? That issue is the focus of my question.

A secondary question is -- if we were not in Afghanistan or after we leave do we or should we care about that relationship and if so, what should we do about it.

Both questions couched in view of actual and not desired political constraints.
What is politically acceptable differs depending upon who is making the decision and when they are making it...Those things are dependent upon the leadership. Have they the stomach for it? Potential for success is a matter of judgment, basically an opinion.
That's the rub, isn't it?

Today, now, current climate -- what Reagan or Bush might have done (and we probably disagree significantly on those possibilities...) are immaterial.
I can give you my opinion as to what would get the Pak Army/ISI to cease its' proxy war against America if you would like that.
I would -- provided that opinion considers political reality and isn't just wishful thinking. I can think of several solutions. Unfortunately, not one would be accepted by the policy makers in DC. You and I may not like their approach but they are there. That's reality.