Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
Wasn’t that Calderón’s plan, too?
That's a good point. I opine that Guatemala is a little bit tighter knit than Mexico by the simple fact that it is smaller. In addition, Gen Perez Molina being retired military and having been very active in Guatemala's insurgency is a soldier's soldier. Calderon has no such experience. OTOH Gen Perez Molina actually knows how to gather intelligence, how to employ troops, and how to kill the bad guys. He's done it himself.

En cuestiones de plata y plomo, the cárteles can come to the fight just as well armed and they are always going to be able to offer a nicer payday. I’m not pro-appeasement by any means, but I just don’t see why at this point anyone thinks drug-related violence can be ended without some serious work on the demand side.
I opine the cartels are NOT as well armed. Though they do have formidable arsenals.

I agree with you 100% on the demand side of the issue. Why should Mexicans die just so Gringos can get high? We, the USA, are the world's largest consumer of illegal narcotics. More evidence that our culture is slowly working its way down the toilet swirl.