Thread: 'Nigeria: the context for violence' (2006-2013)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chowing View Post
    Having worked in Benin for 9 years, and fluent in one ethnic group's language (Adja), I understand to some extent the influence of ethnicity in the region. For anyone working in or advising on terrorist activities in the region, they must have an understanding of ethnicity and worldview of those they are working among. Of course, Africans in the region have the best understanding of that, outsiders can and should learn more.
    Totally agree with you and there are quite a few of us that have your time and understanding in the region. This however is not the norm; some people don't want to be there and their assignment is just as much a pain in the Alpha for them as it is for the rest of us trying to comprehend and make a difference. Don't sell us all short too soon.

I wonder what type of cultural training US troops, especially officers receive who are working or monitoring the region?
    That would depend on so many factors. We discussed the FAO program and its benefits and drawbacks on the AFRICOM and FAO threads. In the last 15 years the military has made a concerted effort to prepare people for assignments abroad. In addition to being expensive, it is time consuming and not everyone is considered for intensive pre-deployment training. Let's face it, some people will never pick up a foreign language and there has to be a bar.

What were you provided in the way of cultural training before your first day on the continent ? I learned very little other than some language training to prepare me for Zaire. Cultural training takes place with the culture in question. We are not going to find it in Berlin or Texas !

Nor should it be our style. We care, we just struggle with how to effectively help. The issues and circumstances are so complex. This forum is one of many that need to take place so that thinkers from within and without can dialog and advise. We have to give come up with a solutions, for us and them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hmmm, I think we have sufficient disparity at home and should be concentrating on our problems and national debt. The average US citizen doesn't realize that we have unrest and terrorism in our back yard. We could bring all our diplomats and soldiers home and baton down the hatches (close the borders), and just watch the fireworks on TV, but that's not our style.
    I hope you're right and the decision makers are taking notes. I have some serious doubts and have some stories to support that doubt.

I did serve in Africa, 25 years of my life. I have been involved in Africa for close to 40 years. We Americans want to see quick change and a quick return for our efforts. That is just not going to happen. Knowing that should not weaken our commitment to assist, but we must listen to Africans, learn from them.
    I'm happy to hear that your concerns and thoughts are based on experience and not some blogger's dreams. I knew there was something more than just a blogger with you

I know all of this is easier said than done. Commitment and trust, not blind trust, but informed trust is important.
    I'm only going to repeat this for the 100th time - The US Military do not determine their destination or mission. The US Administration does. "Informed" would then assume the information is in fact the real deal and not some politically-prepared statement. Even the military can't fix that snafu.
    Last edited by Stan; 11-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Totally agree with you and there are quite a few of us that have your time and understanding in the region. This however is not the norm; some people don't want to be there and their assignment is just as much a pain in the Alpha for them as it is for the rest of us trying to comprehend and make a difference. Don't sell us all short too soon.
    Being on here just a few days has given this "former hippie" a better understanding and respect for some of you in uniform. I did not realize, my bad, that any US military folks had any long term experience in the region.

That would depend on so many factors. We discussed the FAO program and its benefits and drawbacks on the AFRICOM and FAO threads. In the last 15 years the military has made a concerted effort to prepare people for assignments abroad. In addition to being expensive, it is time consuming and not everyone is considered for intensive pre-deployment training. Let's face it, some people will never pick up a foreign language and there has to be a bar.
    I will take a look on that thread. Just one more question on that point. Who does the training, military personnel, experienced civilians, or Africans?
    What were you provided in the way of cultural training before your first day on the continent ? I learned very little other than some language training to prepare me for Zaire. Cultural training takes place with the culture in question. We are not going to find it in Berlin or Texas !
    Well, back in 1972 when I first went to Kenya my training was only in cultural anthropology and innovative change. As you say, I picked up almost all of my understanding on the field. I became fluent in Swahili and Kalenjin. Language is a HUGE plus in understanding people and being understood and taken seriously.

I hope you're right and the decision makers are taking notes. I have some serious doubts and have some stories to support that doubt.
    Are there any diplomats on this forum?

Being on here just a few days has given this "former hippie" a better understanding and respect for some of you in uniform. I did not realize, my bad, that any US military folks had any long term experience in the region.
    Glad that we can see the world through clear glasses. The hippie era was not a bad one and many of us were envious. We just ended up on the other side of the USG Becoming an Africa Hand (not sure if I like that description) has its blessings but that does not mean everybody will listen. There's about 15 of us herein. Watch out

I will take a look on that thread. Just one more question on that point. Who does the training, military personnel, experienced civilians, or Africans?
    All of the above and then some. Even some anthropologists are involved depending on the training and post abroad.

Well, back in 1972 when I first went to Kenya my training was only in cultural anthropology and innovative change. As you say, I picked up almost all of my understanding on the field. I became fluent in Swahili and Kalenjin. Language is a HUGE plus in understanding people and being understood and taken seriously.
    Yep, hard to comprehend culture without language. I ended up with Lingala as the majority of the Zairian Army spoke Lingala.

Are there any diplomats on this forum?
    Yes and no. Is a diplomat one who has a diplomatic passport or is declared a diplomat ? At one time I had both, but had no clue what all that actually meant and just tried to do my job. SIGH

Seriously, there are several herein in many forms. My description may not be accurate as it is but my opinion
    If you want to blend in, take the bus