It looks to me as if there is a significant and distinct lack of understanding in the world of cyber of how to conduct an investigation. I am continually surprised as I run across "cyber" experts who haven't got clue one of basic police investigative procedure down. The entirety of this incident and several that are not being reported could have been less "flash" and more "bang" if simple specific principles of investigation were followed.

When asked on this and other similar stories to comment by the media I say, "Sorry but we need more details and information before suggesting even an opinion" So, I don't end up on the front page, I don't get invited to all the big parties, but I also don't end up looking like a fool.

THe principles of police procedure are not specific to any domain. The forensic processes are not "special" because it has bits and bytes. The whole thing smacks of the debacle of the polygraph. The fusion center screwed up, the investigators screwed up, heck even DHS with their rebuttal of the facts screwed up. Nobody knows for sure what happened because nobody actually investigated the incident in a full and correct manner.

The entire escapade is simple bull pucky.