Thread: Islamist Website Instructs Mujahideen in Using Popular U.S. Web Forums

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    It's interesting but the people who really understand the medium of information age weapons are all in their late 30's and 40's. The teenyboppers are consumers not developers.
    I think we are underestimating our teenyboppers. How many high profile hackers have been teenage kids? (I honestly don't know) How many kids have turned to writing their own programs, making their own movies and games, building their own computers.... specifically because they do not want to get bent over by marketing and consumerism. How many of the younger hackers were motivated by their own personal strategies eg: Showing off, Experimentation etc... They understand information warfare all too well, they are just fighting the battles on terms that are relevant to them. Make your values and battles relevant to them and watch how fast they learn and adapt.

As an example I had a guy in my platoon who was from the rural Midwest. He was a teen when he came into the Corps and he went to RadBn... he already knew (almost) everything his courses taught him and even offered tricks to the SNCO's who taught them. I got this from a crusty career Gunny who ended up becoming his platoon sergeant. Once this kid applied the Marine Corps standard to the knowledge base he already POSSESSED he was unstoppable. There are 18-20 year old communications geniuses (Comm "Guru's") that knew everything they needed before they even enlisted. They are some who are now solidly in their 20's and are making six figures, doing what they did in the Corps, which is actually what they did BEFORE the Corps. How many of our teenyboppers use their time in the service simply so they can establish some bona fides to develop a resume that says they are qualified to know what they already knew?

While I would concede that the people who understand the most about the application of information age weapons are the 30-40 set, the ones who understand the best are in the 10-20 set.
    Last edited by Ender; 04-04-2007 at 10:38 PM.