Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
Participation in a capitalist economy does not make anyone a capitalist anymore than going to church makes someone Christ. Unless you own the means of production, you are not a capitalist.
If you have a pension plan, you own a piece of the means of production, albeit a fractional one. in any event, the question of who is or is not specifically "a capitalist" seems exceedingly peripheral to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
There are specified and implied statements. Not everything meant is specifically stated. The content of my criticisms of capitalism imply my disagreements with the practices of finance capitalism.
That implication seems rather obscure, and I can't see how anyone could have deduced it from your statements.

It is interesting you say that, since globalism, the war on terrorism, and now the economic crisis has seemed to spawn at least a noticeable movement towards some kind of international class consciousness, even if it's identity is really only defined at this point by opposition to the establishment. Historically, this kind of class consciousness has been torn apart by nationalist and ethnic bitterness (i.e. the US south). That challenge definitely remains but I think the way social media tools helped enable the Arab Spring may provide some insight into how overcome traditional barriers to class mobilization. Will we see the re-emergence of prominent roles for international political parties? Will it be introduced to the United States? Will such a development fuel insecurity or instability?
That sort of "international class consciousness" has been waxing and waning for generations, and I don't really see anything new about it. Typically it sparks up during economic downturns and retreats in periods of greater prosperity. When you get beyond the loud voices, the extent of "opposition to the establishment" is not really that clear.

Ironically, "opposition to the establishment" is at its lowest point when the establishment is doing its greatest damage, i.e. when bubbles are growing.

The extent to which "social media tools" helped "enable the Arab Spring" is I think vastly overrated by those seeking a bandwagon to jump on. Of course these movements will use whatever tools are available to them, but if those tools weren't available they'd just use other ones.