Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    So what's the point of the current training exercise? Is it to keep Samantha Powers and her people happy? To be seen to be doing something? What really is the rationale?
    The difficult and short answer is: The State Department's Bureau of African Affairs (under the guise of "training and security enhancement" which normally is also in the (ahem... cough) mutual interests of the DRC). There's obviously a lot more to be gained than attempting to turn the Congolese military into a professional career path

The decision to renew assistance to the DRC never made it to Power's although she is often quoted about the human tragedy in the Congo. She would in fact be a good start, but I doubt even she could turn off the suffering of the Congolese.

The really bad news however is just who won the contract to perform this training. I have already had my fill of "lowest bidder to a govt. contract" and the folks responsible for Liberia and now DRC already shafted my programs several years ago.

We cannot train nor turn off the problems associated with the Congolese military until some very basic necessities are financed and met with some serious thought. Everything I see and read about tells me we are back in 1991 - armed and hungry soldiers is a bad cocktail.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

On 17 January, 4 officers, including 3 generals have been arrested in Rwanda over the accusation of traffiquing conflict minerals between DRC and Rwanda.

Rwanda: Top army officers arrested for 'indiscipline'

They are being investigated over "acts of indiscipline" concerning alleged business dealings in mineral-rich Democratic Republic of Congo.

One of those arrested is the military intelligence chief, who has also advised President Paul Kagame on security issues.

Rwanda has denied past accusations that it plundered DR Congo's minerals.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16619867

Some said that it was an excuse to arrest them as they were preparing a coup against president Kagame. Unfortunately, I cannot post any quote of the Rwandese press as the new paper I am refering has been censored.

Any ways this takes place just 2 weeks after 600 kg of Caseterit were stopped at Goma border by police and provincial minister accused high ranked FARDC and civilian administration to be involved.
    This also takes place just after the UN expert panel released its report.

Conincidences you say?

Default And Kinshasa moved to Washington:

Congolese protesters rally in U.S. capitalProtesters rallied in Washington on Saturday to raise awareness of violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo following contested elections there in November.

They said they traveled from 25 states to deliver an urgent message to U.S. President Barack Obama.

"We need President Obama to help restore the leadership the Congo needs," said George Alula, president of the Movement of the Congolese Unity. He urged the international community to recognize opposition candidate Etienne Tshisekedi as the election's legitimate winner.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/21/wo...S%3A+Africa%29

Well, if only the congolese national political parties could be as good as their diaspora...

Default Congo Gold Scam

Looks like the Congolese government just received a cool $ 10 million and $ 4.8 million has disappeared

Ex-NBA star caught in Gold Scam

NBA legend Dikembe Mutombo fell into a gold smuggling trap that saw millions of dollars handed over to a notorious Democratic Republic of Congo warlord, according to UN investigators.

The Mutombo case involves bags containing millions of dollars in cash, sacks of gold of dubious origin and intermediaries with false identities across East Africa.

According to a report by UN sanctions committee experts, all was seized at an airfield in DR Congo. The money ended up with Bosco Ntaganda, a militia leader wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court, and the gold in government vaults.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus