Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
Quickly, I would like to share a feeling of non comprehension and astonishment about US policy in the Great Lakes.
Somehow, I feel lost about what the US are trying to do in the Kivu.
On one side we have Washington screaming that elections were flawed, non credible and must be, at least, recounted. On the other hand we have US diplomats shouting to who wants to hear it that they are 100% with DRC government to increase military cooperation to fight FDLR and other peace spoilers.

I mean, is there any logic in the US foreign policies?
Hey M-A,
I think the DRC is now on the radar screen, but the current actions in Kivu are from previously funded programs that are not too often shut off when we disagree with things like local election results and human rights violations.

All that said, the Ambassador has to make the call and shut down training and funding. Easier said than done.

This Testimony on 02 FEB titled U.S. Policy Toward Post-Election Democratic Republic of the Congo may be a little late but at least getting attention following the January Congolese in DC:

The U.S. and international community – foreign governments, international organizations, and NGOs – have contributed billions of dollars and thousands of advisors into the DRC over the years. To date, unfortunately, the GDRC has not shown the same commitment to reform, and we need to be clear: Without a strong and sustained commitment by the GDRC to democracy and human rights, little can be done that will be sustainable. However, the very fact that the elections have been so widely condemned may provide an opening to press for internationally accepted human rights standards and norms. Certainly, as Dr. Mendelson and Ambassador Yamamoto have testified, we will be pressing the GDRC to undertake effective reforms – not just with respect to elections, but with respect to the entire spectrum of human and civil rights.