LOL. The army and the PPP must have made a deal to get Wajid Shamsulhassan (who was reputedly one of Benazir's bagmen and knows where the cash is buried) to go off in this manner. Lack of media coverage in the West may actually be a desired objective in this case. From Wajid's POV the ideal situation is this:
1. He says whatever GHQ or PPP or both wants said.
2. There is suitable coverage in the Urdu press back home. But if the aim is to convince people in Pakistan (already primed by military-mullah alliance propaganda to blame the US for everything) that the PPP regime is not a bunch of CIA agents I dont think this will work because nobody believes they are really opposed to drone strikes (at least not for the reasons given). If the aim is to show loyalty to GHQ that wont help either, because no matter how many pro-army statements the PPP issues, it will still be mistrusted. If the aim is to raise the price of cooperation and get more money...well, that may work.
3. No big coverage in the Western media. They are not the target audience.

I have no idea what the plan is supposed to be. Maybe there is some real plan, maybe its just whatever the psyops geniuses thought they should do today. But someday the US may give up on whatever mysterious plan the US has in the region and what will happen then? Is there a plan for the day after in pakistan?
No one (not the US, not the Pakistani public, not even Tariq Ali except when it suits his political agenda) cares too much about civilian casualties, but if you think a third world army or corrupt third world elite cares more about civilian casualties than the evil CIA then I may have a bridge to sell you.