Thank you everyone so much for your input, it really does help. Something all of you have commented on; likely the biggest issue is that those who decide staffing will always do what is easiest and fastest for them. Is there a way to change this?
Ken, you said that more often than not people are assigned to where they are most useful. Do you believe this was true during your time in and have you come across any concerns to the contrary in forums about today's military? I now understand the difference between being a wartime Army and being in the Army while there are combat deployments going on. Are the rules of a peacetime Army appropriate for today?
Staffing issues such as Stan was referring to. Taking someone who speaks the language of the area and replacing him with someone who does not. Thankfully Stan was cognizant enough to call branch and call them on it. Some younger/newer Soldiers may not know to do this. Perhaps I am being naive, but I am just curious. Stan, my husband does contribute to posts and has been helping a lot with this paper. I am learning more and more about the system that you have had to work with and through. It gives me a better understanding of his day to day frustrations.
One of the other things that I am looking at as a smaller side area; the fact that the job market today in general is having to facilitate four generations. This is new to the employers. The Army is no exception; though it is more like three generations as the youngest traditionalist would be approximately 67 years old. The three generations are: Baby Boomer, X and Y. How can we best utilize all generations?
Thanks again for anyone reading and writing. I really appreciate the insight and will definitely utilize it in my paper. As a military wife I am extremely proud of my husband and the work he does; that extends to all those in the service branches. Thank you for all you do.