Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
Command of a squad/section and a platoon should have taken place on officers course. If not how was the individual's knowledge/understanding and ability to apply minor tactics assessed?
'Command' in a course setting is not the same as doing it in combat or in a working unit on exercises. I know you know that, just stating the obvious so no one misses that critical point.
If a 2Lt needs training in squad/section level tactics then send him back to officers school.
Perhaps here we get to the US 'problem' Von Schell identified back in 1930. Too much time on training courses and not enough time practically exercising these skills at unit level.
??? Now you're trying to confuse me -- take it easy, I'm old...
...± 6 months ??? That could mean as little as a year. Not good enough quite frankly. Two years is good (especially at war), three years better (in peacetime).
Agreed. I'd even go for less time in a full bore war as opposed to a low intensity effort such as Viet Nam, Afghanistan or Iraq.
In peacetime experience is gained through field exercises. There is no substitute for experience.
True, thus my comment there is no optimum solution to replace experience.
Why would one need to develop the trust of 'unknown persons'? The whole reason for having standing battalions is for them to train together to develop cohesion as a unit and maintain a state of readiness, yes?
Yes -- However, in a full up war ala WW II or some parts of Korea, casualties and other things, the size of the Army, will entail a personnel turnover rate sometimes reaching 15 to 30% of a unit in a month. The unit cannot quit, it will receive replacements and Officers and NCO will be moved within Bns, even Bdes to replace combat losses -- one WILL deal with 'unknown persons.'
Officers cycling through on 2-3 years postings will establish themselves quickly and if competent gain the trust of not only their troops but also their fellow officers.
Totally true but in heavy combat, that much time will absolutely not be afforded. In Korea, I had three Co Cdrs in a month, I cannot even recall the name of the second who was there for three or four days. In Viet Nam, we got in a new Bn Cdr, he got a DSC, wounded, evacuated and replaced three weeks later. The new guy was there for three months and then moved to be the Bde S3. Another LTC came in and I left a couple of weeks after that. The point is that rotations and personnel turbulence entail a lack of trust of persons one does not personally know if one knows that the training of one's forces are not as good as they should or could be so one needs to learn that even marginal training is, in fact, overcome by most people. Best way to learn that is by exposure to many persons in many units and sub-units.

You mention troops trusting Officers, yes, it is important that they do that -- it is even more critical that seniors trust juniors; else those seniors will be reluctant to grant the independence of action and give mission orders instead of detailed instructions...
In my case if you count my South African National Service my pre officers course military experience was 18 months. My point was that this experience should be between 1-3 years.
Yes but my point was that your experience in a unit was only a year or a bit less; initial entry training is important and counts for a lot -- but it is not the same as experience IN a unit.
My concern here is that if it were to be three years minimum and add to that the minimum three years for a degree then you have taken six years out of the productive commissioned service of an officer.
True but there's only so much time...
In wartime (in my experience) the benefit of prior service before commissioning as opposed to those who had none was quickly made up for where the direct entry officer had an experienced sergeant. In peacetime I would not know.
Same effect, same solution. The problem is that in large Armies (and in peacetime) every LT will not have a decent, much less an expereienced Sergeant...
Secondly I don't know what post a 2Lt can hold other than platoon commander after (your) one year? What? Staff job? No. Training? No.
Not 'my' one year, that's a wartime minimum. I opted for three years (meaning peacetime and in these little wars). Agree on the Staff jobs but it's a matter of time and experience. As an aside, I don't particularly agree with the excessive number of ranks we currently have, officer or NCO. Just LT instead of 2LT and 1LT. Three years as a LT, then to the Captains course, thence to a staff job then to the Co XO / 2iC job...
... But I still maintain the individual officer's personal development is better served by further time with a platoon.
Substitute 'as a Company Offcier in a line organization' for "with a Platoon" and I agree.
I would be interested to hear where 2Lts/Lts serve if they generally serve only 6-12 months as a platoon commander?
Heh. Right now (and during the Viet Nam fracas) we make 'em 1LTs and put them on a Staff.

As I noted before, you and I don't differ that much...