Posted by Ray,

The Nations are not doing at the US bidding but definitely, like it or not, there is a convergence towards the US' strategic vision in Asia Pacific.
I like it

The commonality of interests, spurred by the sudden change from the Peaceful Rise philosophy of China to the current aggressive hegemonic posture, has encouraged the closing of ranks amongst the nations.
Agreed, but also think we're in a time where alliances are more likely to shift with changes in the wind. The regional states will adapt a hedging strategy to minimize the hegemonic influence of the regions three powers (U.S., China and India). This will force the regional powers to moderate their behavior and act in a way that is non-threatening if they want to maintain influence in the region. In the long run this may be good for all concerned. Unless the Chinese are stupid, and I suspect that is NOT the case, I think they'll be forced to moderate their behavior once they realize acting like the regional bully isn't working.

These exercises, though small in size, is basically to establish the core groups, which will impart instructions back home.
Multinational exercises have implications well beyond the small scale engagement. There are diplomatic discussions and agreements between the countries that facilitate these exercises, and these excerises, even small in scale send a message to the international community. At the tactical level the knowledge gained is often valuable, and as you said the knowledge is further proliferated when the exercise participants return.