Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
Some feel unhappy that the Nigerian government seems to value foreign lives much more than Nigerian lives. This is a very sore point.
It's been decades since most of the West evacuated Zaire, but the scene that day is burned into my memory. Not the mass of whites going for anything that would float or fly, but the look on the Zairians faces watching many of us leave (them behind).

There may have been 70 or so Westerners killed and raped during the first week of pillaging and social upheavals, but those were considered acts of revenge for years of abuse and probably also rape in one form or another.

Not so easy to explain to most, that even the Zairians cared but had little control nor hope. One of the ground handlers at the airport noticed I had no bags and asked, "Mr. Stan, you're not leaving?" When I told him he was stuck with me and the Colonel, he grabbed me and gave both of us a huge hug. (It was hot outside that day - and we were both sweating)... Yuk !

More than 2,500 locals has lost their lives during that week and all we focused on was condemning Zaire for those 70 or so whites being killed.

It's not hard for me to believe that the common Nigerian has a whole lot more to be concerned about than those two murdered engineers.

Pumping oil and playing with ordnance are risky occupations. They knew that when they went North, but, still decided to go. I don't see where their governments became responsible for their actions. Kidnapping obviously still pays well, but maybe this little soirée has sent a message.