Thread: Nine children among 16 dead after US serviceman attacks villagers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mike:

I am not talking about the death penalty at all. You seemed to take very strong exception to the opinion you appeared to feel Culpepper expressed in your reply to him. I am not arguing for or against either one of you. What I am saying is many people in the US are extremely frustrated with the legal system as it now exists and has developed over the years. That is important. I realize that all the various procedures developed for specific reasons but the cumulative effect is that us laymen see something we don't have a lot of confidence in.

The US could execute military murderers in WWII, we could take decisive action quickly. Now it would be a miracle if the thing from Ft. Hood or the thing in Afghanistan were to receive the death penalty or for the cases to be resolved in less than several years. That dichotomy (wow, that is the first time I got to use that word in a sentence, if I used it right) frustrates us, at least it does me. We have so wrapped ourselves in procedure we can't seem to get anything done, even things so obvious as the Ft. Hood murders and perhaps this case.
    Last edited by carl; 03-14-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene