Thread: Nine children among 16 dead after US serviceman attacks villagers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

While it might be emotionally pleasing to turn this guy over to Afghan justice, which would almost certainly be swifter and more decisive than US justice, it would set a terrifying precedent. We have come under fire for turning Afghans over to Afghan justice at times when it was believed that the accused would not receive due process. How much due process do you think that this guy would get? By turning him over to Afghan justice we are basically saying that he is guilty and that he deserves to be punished. Whatever pretense the Afghan courts throw together for show do not really count for much. Based on the reports coming out from this incident, this guy probably does deserve that. Lord knows that I am not going to be shedding a lot of tears for him. But what about the next one? It is fairly easy to condemn this guy but not every case is this cut and dried. Where do you draw the line?

In any case, I, and I know that I am in the minority here, would much rather not see this guy get the death penalty. I would much rather see him get life in prison and go to general population in an American prison. If he gets the death penalty he will live out his days in a protected cell by himself. General population would be different or so I am given to understand. He is a child murderer and even prisoners have a moral code. My understanding is that some of the things that happen to child murderers in US prisons would make Torquemada queasy.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett

Default Just a minor point...

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    While it might be emotionally pleasing to turn this guy over to Afghan justice...Based on the reports coming out from this incident, this guy probably does deserve that...Where do you draw the line?
    I wouldn't turn him over to Afghan justice at at all. I wouldn't turn him over to anyone unless it was well and duly proven that he in fact did what is alleged -- that would take a US Court Martial (which could be convened and completed at KAF in less than a month or so) and then IF he were guilty, give him to the villagers, no Afghan justice involved in the formal sense and no intent to serve as an example to deter others (anyone that apparently nutty wouldn't be deterred...), nor any intent to calm the Afghans -- merely an eye for an eye...

Yes, that's barbaric. So is war. I'm a barbarian; can't say I really like war but it doesn't bother me. Nor does killing those who deserve it or who are trying to kill me. What was apparently done by someone -- and I have seen others in other places do similar things over the years -- was so wrong as to not deserve any better end. That depth of evil does bother me, barbarian or no and IF what's reported is fairly accurate, then my line was crossed (as occurred with the guys from the 506th in the Black Hearts thing). Most everyone has their own line and most adapt to circumstances.

Such a quick trial and turn over is not going not going to happen and I know it. I also know that my line isn't everyone's or the system's and that's okay. However, such a turnover if the affair is proven to be as it appears would fit my perhaps overdeveloped, mayhap even perverted, sense of justice.

Since that isn't going to happen, I agree with your handling and end result.