Thread: Warfare: Food Supply/Access

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I won't quibble about the 'produce' but I was referring to planetary fresh water production when I wrote it (or at least the precipitation that falls on the land). The paragraph was taken from a post on another site which has quite a lot more information about the planet's water situation. In post 3 at the link I have included a graph, from the above linked report, which shows almost no countries are expected to be in credit by 2030. As watcher said "And this wasn't a bunch of 'enviro wacko' types at all" This report was commissioned by the likes of Nestle, Coca-Cola, Standard Chartered and similar 'greenies'. I agree that the problems are local but the problem is all the local problems have now 'keyholed' into a global one.
    Over 50% of the worlds fresh water is now used for agriculture and over 50% of the worlds food comes from irrigated crops.
    The planet has a lot of water but only 0.03% is accessible to terrestrial plants and animals.
    More data, and more links, at the link (posts 3, 5 & 8 are most relevant to water others cover population and more general resource depletion)

Edit:
    I was looking at the World Economic Forum 'Global Risks Report 2012' and noted an interesting change. The report collates risk data and graphs risks by plotting 'event likelihood' against 'event impact'. If you look at page 12 you will see another graph giving the top five risks for each of the last 6 years. This year 'water supply crisis' has appeared for the first time and is placed No.2 by impact and No.5 by likelihood. Another first time entry is 'food crisis' at No.3 by impact.

Fuel, food and water are in fact, to a degree, interchangeable in that fuel can be used to make fertilisers (5% of all natural gas goes into ammonia for nitrates) which with water can be used to grow plants for food or bio-fuels with which you can desalinate sea water or make fertiliser etc.
    Last edited by JJackson; 03-25-2012 at 10:09 PM.