Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
I like your concept of function and systems, but can you expand on what your battalion would look like?
Sure, the Marine Corps is the only force that has a Commandant for the highest ranking officer in charge. I always thought that was strange title so being the Airborne Investigator that I am, I had to find out where did that name come from and "what's up with that name."

As near as I can tell during the Boer War the basic fighting unit was a COMMANDO(none of that platoon or company stuff) and it was lead by a COMMANDANT. They write it as Kommandant. Also a Commando could expand and contract based upon the need and or the enemy...perfect Systems Thinking....adaption to the enemy system based on the environmental system you are operating in. So instead of platoons and companies and battalions you need Commandos sized to the mission need. Dosen't get any better than that.

So who is running the Marines now? Send this to him so he can get this stuff squared away.With all the budget cuts coming the Marines are going to need a big MoJo rebuild.

I am re-reading the article for the third time there are a few other jewels in there that I want to talk about.