Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    "Substantial" doesn't mean a majority, it just means enough to have substance. Substance can come from numbers, but it can also come from commitment or position. As many leaders have discovered to their chagrin, violent dissent from a quite small percentage of the populace can be very substantial indeed. In this case the dissent wasn't violent, but it was vocal, visible, and had a base among those familiar with foreign policy.

In the early days of opposition to the Vietnam war, the opposition came from a minority. It was still substantial, not least because it had traction: it rapidly gained adherents and came to represent a majority. Much the same could be said of the early opposition to the Iraq war.

In this case the substance came as much from who as from how many. For example, Colin Powell was initially not at all enamored of the idea of war in Iraq, though he eventually submitted to the will of the administration. When the Secretary of State opposes something, that has substance, and is thus substantial. There was also, as I said, substantial debate among the foreign policy elite (look back at old issues of Foreign Affairs, and you'll see it). Again, this doesn't mean that a majority opposed the war, just that there was an opposition of some substance.

If I'd referred to "overwhelming opposition" or "majority opposition" that would indeed be contradictory.

Mountains of molehills, once more...
    You stand exposed for what you are.

No use of acting like a video game - flitting from side to side.

You are not consistent with your claims. You are vague and you love to pull wool over the eyes!

We also understand English, if one is to believe you all about US education, then maybe even better than you!

Pray don't teach me English, the Cambridge University has passed me fit.

Cambridge here mean the real one and not any clones that you might find in the US.
    Last edited by Ray; 06-04-2012 at 08:04 AM.