Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
In every war, they have also introduced innovative thinking, new and better ways of doing things and changed a rather hide bound regular force for the better. The longer we have gone without such infusions, the more stultified the regular force has become. For an example, see the period 1953-2001.
Yes and no, Ken. As far as I'm concerned, the Volunteer myth ranks right up there with "we have to have a draft." Some of the volunteers did bring in new ideas, but if you go back to the Civil War I'd also make a strong case for some of that innovating thinking actually came from Regular officers of junior rank who were quickly promoted to provide leadership for those new Volunteer units. A good chunk of the "volunteer" officers in the Civil War were West Point-trained (or had prior service experience) who gained their rank through State appointments.

Volunteer units also didn't start doing well until they were brought in on extended service terms (two years at least). Lots of issues, and I suspect that the "volunteer" question leads down the same rabbit hole as the draftee force.