Luttwak's article is weak in terms of justification of his position. The inaccurate and selective citation of historical example is an old rogues trick in any such polemical piece.

Increasingly I am getting tired of 'expert' advice from 'Terrorism' and 'COIN' experts from academia and the media who are not burdened by any practical experience.

I am also finding that these people are increasingly 'blood thirsty' in their recommendations. It is amazing how easy it is for these people to be profligate with others lives.

The disproportionate influence they seem to have on some opinion and policy makers is particularly worrisome. I for one would take more heed of Luttwak (and all the other polemicists) if they saddled up and joined the fight in some constructive way that transcends self promotion and media hits in 'Factiva'.

If they just want to be windbags they should stick to monday morning quarterbacking in their own small circle of acolytes, undergrads and interns, all of whom can assuage their egos as to their true genius.....