Thread: Green on Blue: causes and responses (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Curmudgeon and Fuchs and anybody else:

Do either one of you know if these types of murders have been committed against Indian or Turkish troops and trainers in Afghanistan? It would be interesting to see that data if it exists at all. It would be interesting not from the standpoint of religion but to see if non-western troops are provoking the same reactions.

Also it has been my experience and observation that the most important thing in not pissing off the locals in other countries isn't knowledge of the cultural mores and practices, nor even knowledge of the language. The most important thing is that you conduct yourself, for lack of a better word, as a gentleman. Respectful attitude, friendlyness (sic), punctiliousness about courtesy, restraint etc are the most important things. If the locals see you acting like that they will cut you a tremendous amount of slack on all the gaffes you WILL make and teach you how not to make them again. In other words, you have to conduct yourself in another person's country as you would conduct yourself as a guest in another person's house.

Given the culture of the American military, of which I know only a little, can that be inculcated into the 20 year olds by the 30 year olds? I know people can do it, the Gurkas I've read are real good at that. But can the American military do that as of this date?
    Last edited by carl; 08-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene