Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
Fuchs:

I have another question. Some of the displaced persons that my Mom knew and worked with here in the US in the 10 years or so after WWII said German troops were much better behaved than American troops. (This is not counting reprisals and thing like that.) They said that in the normal course of events they preferred having German troops in the area. I think I read that elsewhere also but can't remember where.
Curious if the level of discipline is a factor. Again, I am oversimplifying, but assuming the German Troops were more disciplined and therefore less likely to mouth off or curse at the population, could that be a factor.

Along a similar line it is worth noting that the Marines were seen as less offensive.

U.S. Marines were viewed as having better attitudes and being more respectful and respected
The same was said about ETT members and females, so it is difficult to say that it was a discipline issue alone. Could have been a training difference. Of course, the other assumption that could be made is that ETT members would probably be older and more experienced.