The Saudi regime, or extended royal family must be aware of the impact of the Arab Spring, with once friendly, or allied governments being overthrown and replaced with something very different. What I have yet to see is any in-depth reporting on the impact upon the Saudi population.

We appear to assume the regime using both "soft" and "hard" power is capable of identifying its weaknesses and responding to them. From my very limited reading the regime's response is "more of the same". Whether that is still suitable is the key question.

What I would be looking for is increasing numbers of Saudis staying abroad after their studies, possibly volunteering to work in other post-Spring countries; more savings leaving and more "disappearances", even renditions back to Saudi Arabia.

For strategic reasons most Western nations prefer the Saudi regime and avert their eyes from looking more closely.

I am reminded of a conversation many years ago, possibly by a retired UK diplomat on the radio; he talked about two foreign policy nightmares for the UK: a bearded, junior Pakistani army officer appears on TV and announces a successful coup. Second, a raging bearded, fanatical Saudi face appears on TV to announce all the royal family are dead and the oil is turned off.

Quite fanciful I thought until a retired soldier responded that this shock had already happened once before - Gadafy's coup in Libya in 1968. At the time the UK had more troops in Libya than their army, apparently to defend the Libyan oilfields from Eygpt (plus RAF & USAF bases).

I assume national governments have thought through the possibilities and adjusted their calculations over policy.