Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
To establish the army as a social entity, as a 'tribe' (preferably universally respected), might also help to overcome the inherent divisions and might eventually even help the idea of a politically unified state.

Kinda USMC- or Legion trangre-like; an institution which is not comparable to others because of the degree at which it integrates and gives a new meaning; joining the army as joining another 'tribe'.
Not sure that would be preferable in the social setting of Afghanistan (or other similarly situated societies) where connection to an existing tribe is a matter of critical importance. To join another tribe might be seen as forsaking your existing connection.

In addition, for this to work the new tribal affiliation would have to be of greater status than the one you are forsaking. Not the case of the Afghan security forces, at least not based on my experience. While the officers were held in high regard by the population, the average soldier was not. The social status of a common soldier while I was in Afghanistan 2006-7 was about equal to a welfare recipient in the US - someone who could not make their way on their own ability and needed to join the military to get by or provide for their families. They were near the bottom of the social ladder with little honor associate with their job.

Not sure this is still the case. I had heard that Afghan TV had started a reality program based on an elite tactical unit and that, at least that unit's social status was held in high regard. However I don't believe it has filtered down to the average Soldier. While I was there anyone who could claim status as a mujahedin had a higher social status than an enlisted Soldier.