Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
I think the reason that politicans are ignoring excessive medical incompetence is that it isn't a major media issue and organized groups are not demanding action, so in this case I think the politicians are using critical thinking as relates to elections (what do I need to focus on to get re-elected). They are not applying critical thinking on how to best allocate government resources based on the reality of the threats. In this case it is not disruptive, it is politics as usual. Political reality is a constraint that frequently limits paradigm shifts.
A lot of the completely unnecessary deaths associated with medical treatment happen in the interstices (infections related to less than scrupulous handwashing, charts being misread at some point and the wrong or no medication being given to a recovering patient, &tc.) so they are harder to “see,” as it were. And frankly, most people just don’t understand the basics of human health and health care. Well, most people don’t understand the basics of terrorism, either, but they see enough pictures and hear enough talking heads on cable news to feel otherwise.