Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
Elaborate some then on point #6.
Goesh - This will be covered in the next blog entry, but here's the Cliff's Notes version:

This is arguably more important during predeployment training than any other time. Setting the tone in training for how to interact with local populaces will determine the automated responses you're looking for once you get to theater.

Think of it this way: Before you play the in Stanley Cup Finals you had better have a good game plan going in. Whatever you do or fail to do in the practices leading up to Game 1 will have implications within the Series. Certain areas you must assume risk in and others you must emphasize as important. Am I going to focus on power plays, penalty killing, backchecking, or forechecking? How do I adjust my lines to best neutralize or defeat the strengths of my opponent?

Training for a deployment is much the same. What areas will I focus on and which will I assume more risk? One could argue that if we're viewing the people (both locally, domestically, and internationally) as the center of gravity then it so follows that learning how to deal with unfamiliar customs, courtesies, and language would be a hot commodity area.

Finding those with experience in country is a good start, but ideally you're looking for someone smart who's actually from the area you're going to before you leave. This takes some searching and a good network system. If they don't deploy with you, you need to find someone in theater for mroe local specific matters. If you're patrolling correctly and developing the relationships you need to in order to be successful, in no time you'll find someone you trust enough (and, in turn, trusts you) to act as your local cultural advisor.

Hopefully this helps explain some.