Thread: Thoughts from the Field on Kilcullen's 28 Articles (Pt. I)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default stick and move

"If you're patrolling correctly and developing the relationships you need to in order to be successful, in no time you'll find someone you trust enough (and, in turn, trusts you) to act as your local cultural advisor."

Then interpretation/interpretors can be a vulnerability. How do you adequately vet someone who has sufficient English skills and just happens to be in your AO? I would stick and move via counter-COIN strategies other than intimidation if I were say an interested Iranian, especially in hotly contested turf. We aren't the only ones on a major learning curve here.

Your reponse is helpful. Is General P. having to kick alot of butt with the implimentation of COIN or is it a relatively smooth transition in operational theory and application?

Council Member

Is there any logistical adjustment required for COIN implimentation? Does COIN impose any unique logistical challenges? I guess I should apologize for jumping out of order here and jumping ahead and rushing and acting pushy, but I keep in mind there are significant forces on the home front who want to pull the plug on the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
    Then interpretation/interpretors can be a vulnerability. How do you adequately vet someone who has sufficient English skills and just happens to be in your AO?
    You get very selective in what you allow them to know or tell them. I can't really go into what is entailed in the vetting process.

Is General P. having to kick alot of butt with the implimentation of COIN or is it a relatively smooth transition in operational theory and application?
    A lot of what FM 3-24 was implimented by 3ACR in OIF III before FM3-24 even came out in draft. COL McMaster ensured we were trained to conduct operations the way they were supposed to be conducted. Between COL McMaster and some very squared away Squadron Commanders, the leadership led by example. All we had to do was follow.

Is there any logistical adjustment required for COIN implimentation? Does COIN impose any unique logistical challenges?
    There's always adjustment, especially when you're talking about an Army that thinks in linear dimensions traditionally. There are outside considerations, but I think we've gotten a pretty good handle on them at this stage of the game.
    Example is better than precept.

Default Part II is Up...

Council Member

Given 300+ years of linear theory and application, is COIN theory and practice in full implimentation or is it essentially still all on paper and limited in real application to some AOs? Are some in the Officer Corps regarding COIN as a pet project that is going to fade away? I sense a bit of a struggle in the two camps. How serious are the differences? How much of a turf war is going on in-house?These are questions some who hold the purse strings are asking in their own way.

Point 8. It would seem as in previous wars and engagements that necessity facilitates this principle. In Nam, the good officers kept their mouthes shut for a while and followed NCOs around like pups until they developed their bush craft. I would presume in 'hotter' and more hostile AOs this principle manifests rather easily and quickly out of necessity. One could argue however that point 8. and other points, are simply linear history repeating itself. This could provide a justification for some to think COIN is more of a situational and environmental necessity and not a national, strategic necessity. Can COIN survive if relegated to Mission Only status to be put on the table when and where needed? How open and friendly is the General Officer Corps to COIN? This is the type of interfacing the military should expect from civilians and what civilians should demand of their armed forces. I will say this in closing: I think COIN can pull civilians with their flags off the sidewalks to at least approach the rank and file of our armed forces much more so than the traditional, linear camp does. From my perspective, you've got some cavalry soldiers dressed and acting like Indians.

Default Parts III and IV are Up...

Default Thanks again !

A very enjoyable read. Wished we had this a few years ago !

Great work guys !