Thread: EUCOM Economic Analysis - Part I

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Catalonia warns EU that million-strong march cannot be ignored

We had this discussion before and for the first time I have seen numbers for this wealth transfer:

Mas has threatened to call elections if that is done in Catalonia, believing it would provoke a wave of nationalist sentiment. Catalans pay between € 12bn and € 16bn more in taxes each year to Madrid than they receive back, with the excess going to poorer regions such as Andalusia and Extremadura.
    For 7.2 millions this means roughly 2000 € per capita.
    "I identify with the popular outcry," he said, adding that only his responsibilities as regional prime minister had prevented him from joining the demonstrators. "Catalonia needs a state," he added. "For years we thought it could be the Spanish state."

But just as northern Europe was getting fed up with the south, and vice versa, so Catalonia and the rest of Spain were now fed up with one another, Mas said.

He implied that one way for Rajoy to dampen the surge in separatist feeling would be to agree to a change in funding, allowing Spain's wealthiest region to hold on to more of the tax it generates.

Catalonia wants to be able to collect its own taxes and send a share to Madrid, rather than the other way around. That would make it different from most of Spain's other 16 regional government, but similar to the northern Basque country.

Mas will see Rajoy next week to discuss what he called an issue of "fiscal sovereignty". Popular outrage at Catalan money going elsewhere amid health and education cuts was fuelling the thirst for independence, he suggested.
    Italy has very distinct regions with greatly differing languages and dialects but nothing like this heavy-weight.

---

The Shiller P/E or P/E 10 is rather low for most European countries with some exceptions like Germany, where stock prices have been resisted and current PE is relative low due to strong earnings. The Dividend yield is high and for rougly 3 years now superior to the bond yields, for the first time in almost 50 years. The ROE is in general good despite some relative poor earnings. In this case the Eurozone crisis has been good for investors has it has enabled us to buy a seemingly good prices for quite some periods. While I'm firmly long with a roughly 65% in equity, nominally with good capital gains I have sold quite a bit in the recent weeks. Sadly yesterday I was not able to do so, but who knows where and when...

Considering that I'm a net saver and should remain so for a couple of years those low valuations are positive. Even more so is volative nature of the stock market which allows one to buy cheap and sell some high if one wants to. Certainly Mr. Market has been very helpful lately, giving in my opion sometimes a good margin of safety. I just hope that by generally sticking to my sweet spots and rules I did not comit too many blunders. Recounting the ones made in the last 6 months is already quite a bit painful

Instead of thinking of the current crisis why not enjoy some of the best qualities of good old Europe? Schubert, Trio op. 100 - Andante con moto .

P.S: I can not resist to write that accroding to a study presented in the Corriere della Sera the Italian savers got slightly less the half of the overall yield of their investments. More then 50% went to "helpers" as Buffet calls them, in very costly fees. This is nothing but shocking and a good reminder why I have pushed hard to get the personal as low as possible. Low-cost index funds (ETFs etc) are part of this package. Sadly selling expensive products can be a good deal of the bank who enables the helpers to get enough money to help the bank to help the saver paying them in generally far too much for the performance they offer.

---
    Last edited by Firn; 09-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935