Thread: Energy Security

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    An interesting calculation and there is no doubt in my mind that PV can be a key element among many to increase the energy security of the world. Still in this particular case there are opportunity costs for the potential Saudi investor, in the sense that he might get a better return on his capital elsewhere.

Personally I do however agree that it could be a sensible investment, especially in this part of the world with an almost ideal endowment in terms of solar power and energy usuage enviroment. In short great potential energy yield seems even to match the peak of energy usage.
    Sorry, here I do not see your point :-) For 66 USD investment you get for twenty years p.a. (!) 34 USD, what is a better alternative? Keep in mind energy in form of electricity is a very sexy product. :-)

This solution works now very well because the PV has become quite cheap in the last three years and at the same time crude price increased.

BTW: If you check the plans published last year in respect to future electricity production in SA, you will find that they plan to install many GW PV and nuclear. Here my bet is they will shift more to PV in future. :-)
    Last edited by Ulenspiegel; 10-04-2012 at 05:51 AM.