Surferbeetle,

The last sentence from the FT article provides the context for my comments:
Nonetheless, today’s EU is vastly different from the one the UK joined in 1973, or indeed the one Britons voted to stay in when they were last given a chance to express their views in a referendum in 1975.
In 1975 I happily voted to remain a member of the European Economic Community (EEC). Somehow the European political elite converted this idea to a single market, with an explosion in bureaucracy and rules - which of course needed a state-like structure, with a parliament, court and more. This structure then became a federal Europe, the European Union (EU).

The EU being democratic oddly forgot to give everyone a chance to vote in national referenda on this decision. Those few national electorates that had the chance to decide and voted 'no' had to hold a second vote to get it right! IIRC Denmark and Ireland.

The European political elite have failed to persuade most voters IMO that the EU - which is a federal state - is necessary, even preferable. Along came the recession plus further weakening public belief in politicians.

In the UK the Conservatives in opposition promised a referenda, but once in coalition with the very pro-EU Lib-Dems David Cameron forgot.

Now I regret voting 'Yes' in 1975, if asked today I would vote 'No'.